Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pinkapalooza!

Okay, I have two girls. I am okay with femininity in them and in me. Seriously. They wear dresses, bows in their hair, Maddy's first room was even painted pink. I am okay with pink. So I was at Toys R Us last night and for some reason all the pink toys enraged me. Not the stuff that is SUPPOSED to be pink. Dolls, and barbies, and things of that nature were fine. But have you noticed that now there has to be a pink version of everything? Your classic shape sorters are now available in bright basic colors and shades of pink. Snap beads, ball poppers, lego blocks even! All in pinks and purples. Even a freakin' pink Ouja board. Like you need just the right shade of pink so you feel all girly while you open your doorway into the demon realm. I'm not sure why it ran all over me so much. I guess because there's just no good reason for it. No research says pink is the best color for stimulating your baby. Everyone knows that bright colors and lots of contrast are best for baby. All this pink has nothing to do with the child it is intended for. That's what gets me. Because I know, out there somewhere, is some chick in a pink Mary Kay car, with a little dog wearing a pink collar in a pink pet carrier who will reproduce and her poor child will be subjected to a Pepto Bismal colored LIFE.

3 comments:

angela said...

"Even a freakin' pink Ouja board. Like you need just the right shade of pink so you feel all girly while you open your doorway into the demon realm."

YOU ARE CRACKING ME UP!!!!

I do know what you mean though. EVERYTHING we got for Hannah was pink; I have to purposefully search out other colors for her.

beckygiggles said...

I'm fine with girly pink stuff, we did Maddy's first room in lots of pink. I just got SO irritated at the good basic developmental stuff that got pinkified.

Talia said...

does anyone think that i would be the one to buy these pink toys : )? i am a little obsessed with pink. i always have been. i think it has gotten worse since i have two boys : ).

i do think a pink ouji board is pretty crazy, though! and...i do agree children should be surrounded by all colors.