Thursday, November 20, 2008

Trusting God

So lately I've been thinking more about people that trust God with their fertility. A la Catholic style. Perhaps because, thanks to Jen at Conversion Diary, I've been reading Catholic blogs? We Protestants don't really hit on this one much. I think it falls under a little known "none of your beeswax" verse. The only thing is, I've never read that verse. I have my reasons for only two children and they make sense. Out there in the world, even in my church. My husband and I have a decent age difference, he has hepatitis C so we're looking at a liver transplant in the next 10 years or so, my last pregnancy kept me a depressed weepy wreck for 8 1/2 months, etc. I could go on and everyone I know would nod their heads and totally agree with me. The thing is, I know that these people who do trust God with how many kids and when don't have a special certificate from Him stating that they will live long, prosperous lives. None of us have the promise of tomorrow. So I guess it comes down to the fact that my faith is weak. I really don't trust God enough to do that. (Even if I did, my husband would think it's the nuttiest thing I've ever come up with.) So I guess I say all that to say that I greatly admire the faith of people who do allow God to determine the size of their family. I know that there is a special blessing in store for them.

1 comment:

carlyn said...

i have definitely pondered this a lot. thanks for sharing your thoughts.